Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Now I know why!

Finally got myself started on my "English Project"! I'm currently doing some reading up on how non-native speakers learn English and how I can be an effective English teacher to them. Gosh, this whole process brought back so much memories from my NIE days and CWSS days.

I always wondered why my curriculum subject 2 is English. My original CS2 is actually physics. Well, Math and Physics go really well tgt. Whereas, Math and English combination is like bleh. I remember I hated physics in NUS so much that I requested for a change with MOE to do my CS2 in English. I did that partly because English modules in NUS were more manageable for me. Amazingly, MOE acceded to my request.

The interesting thing is that I am never a language person. I know that. But I admit I wanted the easy way out back then. Oops! You see, I don't grow up in an English speaking family and I struggled to pass my English exams when I was in school. The miracle was I did pretty well for my GP in A levels and I had to thank my GP tutor, Mr Lim for it. I literally stayed back almost every other day to do essays with him in the few months before my A's.

I believe God works in ways with the end in mind. He knows that 13 years down the road, I will visit Myanmar. He knows that I will be moved by the people's needs. He knows that I will want to help them.

When I decided to do this last year after I visited Myanmar, I know it will be challenging. I've lost touch with English teaching ever since I left MOE. Most importantly, I was afraid that I couldn't do a good job. Yet now, thinking about how God has guided me and led me to where I am today, I am convinced that He will provide the resources and wisdom.

God created me with a desire to help others. Being able to help people brings me so much happiness. Not only has He created me that way, He provided me with all the resources I need to be of help to others.

I was talking to my sis earlier on and we talked about this common friend of ours. Sis says that this friend's dream is to be famous one day. He is a super nice friend and there's certainly nothing wrong about wanting to be famous.

Then I thought about what I want in life. I don't desire to be famous. I also don't desire to be rich. And in that moment, I found my answer. I desire to be great! In Mtt 23:11 Jesus says that he who is the greatest among you will be your servant.

What are the journeys that God has brought you through? What are the markings on your staff that boast of God's faithfulness, love and goodness? No matter how discouraged you are at this point in life, we are all work in progress and God is never done with us. Push through all your difficulties while being assured that God is a loving Father who desires to give you the best things in life. You are never alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment