Monday, October 9, 2017

HOMELESS

I'm still thinking about that article about homeless people in Singapore.

It was an interview with a 35 year old homeless man, giving readers an insight of how he ended up where he is now. He came from a broken family, and ended up in the prison due to a mistake. Because of his criminal records, his dad disowned him. His low education level disallow him from getting any good job. Though he is working, it is still too expensive for him to rent a place to stay.

After reading the article, I can't imagine my parents telling me to get out of their sight and don't even care about me. I can't imagine getting bullied and there's no one to turn to. I can't imagine working so hard, doing my best and yet there isn't enough to get by. I can't imagine using my whole life to pay for a mistake that I had made.

I don't know why but this story stayed with me the whole day. I feel so much for him. Not just for him but people like him. Why is he not given a second chance in life? Why does hard work doesn't translate to comfortable living? I often struggle with these questions that I don't have answers to. A part of me is upset with God for being so unfair. But I will always be reminded of something that I read many years back. God is not unfair. He loves everyone including the people I feel for. The way He reaches out to the poor, the needy and the destitute is through people who has been so touched by God and wants to make a difference.

I'm not sure if helping the homeless will eventually be the mission of my life. But in the meantime, I'll continue to love and help the people that God has placed in my life. If anger, rejection and brokenness is the cause of all evil, then I will let my joy, my love and God's presence to permeate the atmosphere wherever I go, depositing goodness into people's lives.

Yes, it's a privilege to be a blessing and a giver, because only the blessed one can bless others and only the one who has received much can give much.

No comments:

Post a Comment