Late dinners or even no dinners have been a norm to me now. Coffee is now part of the survival kit. You told yourself to do one thing and then the very next seconds, you are on the next task. That's when you stopped, stoned and tried hard to remember what you wanted to do just a seconds ago. Everyday is just pushing yourself to walk another mile. Welcome to my life. Corrections. Pre-Exam Life.
It gets crazily busy for me everytime in April and Oct. Before that period comes, I think it's nice to give additional help to them to give them the extra push especially for students who just join my class. During that whole period, I think I'm crazy and shld stop doing extra lessons next year. After that period, I'm glad I do what I can when I see my kids doing well.
Education is about learning new knowledge and applying them. But to me, I see how good education can build up a child's self esteem and confidence.
R had been doing really badly for his math. Never once did he pass in any of his Sec 1 and 2 test/exams. He went for a screening test at a very prestigious tuition center. After doing that test, the tutor commented that his math is terrible and of coz, he never returned. By some change of events, he ended up doing some lessons with me. Initially he was a hard nut to crack. I remember how I had to get him on task. He kept saying algebra is hard and needed constant encouragement. The last exams when I first met him, he scored 15% out of 100%. There are some students who are a gift, there are some from hell. He is the latter one.
Eventually, after a few weeks, he wasn't tested on algebra anymore! I remembered it was the topic on angles. That seemed like a new beginning, giving him a new lease of life. I told him that if he wants to do well in math, this is the start. Forget about the algebra and all traumatic experiences that came with it. Just focus on this new topic.
Second chances are so important. R started to be more positive and became more serious with his work. I made sure he did practice questions and even set up a whatsapp group with his mum to monitor his homework. He had to take photo of the homework and send it to the grp chat so that everyone can remember that homework is given. No more excuses for missing question papers. Thank God for technology! I started preparing him all that I could on a major test on that topic. There was also a lot of positive anchors and reframing involved all the time. Eventually he scored 70% for that test.
That test changed his reality. Totally. He became so motivated. Now he takes the initiative to text me when he had problems. He hands in his homework without needing reminders. He comes for lessons knowing what he wants me to help him in. Remember I mentioned that he hates algebra? Because of his past successes and positive experience with math, it gave him the strength to face his most dreaded topic. I must say this boy is progressing really well and o know he will excel.
When we help students to achieve their impossible, it changes their reality. They start to believe in themselves. They start to be convinced that effort and hard work matter. Yes, they will still fail. But they are now more resilient. When you love and care for them, that gives them an added motivation to do well too.
I was just complaining that I'm a little hungry and my lesson is 3pm-9pm today. R asked me how do I settle my dinner then? I told him that I will either have a very late dinner or just skip it. And after lesson, he actually went to help me get some food. Trust me, he is not the very sweet boy who will do such things for people. Most of the time, he is quite an inward-looking chap. But that is so sweet of him.
This is why I love what I do. I see the kind of transformation in a child and I'm grateful for the privilege to be a part of their journey. In return, the kids love you back too.
#thisisabeautifulworld
No comments:
Post a Comment