Sunday, August 11, 2019

Connections in volunteering

Just as I was searching for places to volunteer, lo and behold, I met strangers who are the pros in this field.

Was having lunch and since it was crowded, I shared a table with some strangers who are friends. I'm not sure how it got started but we chatted. Found out that they are actually volunteering with RSVP, a volunteer group for elderly. They were sharing some of the events that they do. Things like volunteering at the Science center, bringing kids to the zoo, getting an experience at ifly and organizing the Happy Exercise for the old folks.

The one that stood out was the happy exercise. It's actually just a series of simple moves that involve the elderly to count, so as to make them exercise their brain power. To us, it can be simple stuff but to the old folks, it really help to prevent dementia and encourage active living. That's the power of community!

There's a period of time that I wonder why people volunteer... they got so much time meh? If got time, why don't just rest or make more money? But lately I realise that the purpose of everything that we do, is really to reach out to people and make a difference in people's lives. That should actually be why we work... when our gifts and talents coincide with the needs of the world and the problems we want to solve.

When we start looking inward and live just for ourselves, life becomes meaningless. I pray that God will never make me comfortable and always remind me to look out and reach out.

No comments:

Post a Comment