I de-seeded(is there such a word???) a total of 6 pomegranates, together with many other fruits, just the past 2 days. Juicing seems to be my favourite night activity for now. Cutting fruits, toning those arms and washing up...
I've been drinking fruit juice every morning and also taking collagen supplement after my juice intake. With the juices, I hardly need any other food to keep me full in the morning. It just provides me with the energy after that. Well, I realised that my complexion has improved so much in just one week. Not sure if it's coz of the juices or the collagen or the Nutriganics from Bodyshop.
But more than that, it's the overall benefits to the body that I'm going for. All the anti-oxidant, anti cancer properties, boosting of stamina, protection of the heart, liver and everything. I think I need all of that more especially when I'm such a junk and fast food person.
More importantly, I realise that I'm more conscious about eating healthy. Well, I'd think with all the effort to juice, I should not let the junk food cancel out all the good that I have painstakingly masticated out. So, I've started to cook my own lunch too. Seriously, it's a feat coz I don't cook. The last time when I was super health-conscious, all I did was preparing salad.
I kinda regret not taking Home Economics classes seriously when I was in Secondary School. Just coz it's not required to be promoted to my next level of study, I smoked my way through and I could even bribe my friend to do the cooking for me (coz we work in pairs during the practical). I took my English, Math and Science subjects so much more seriously. And as I look back now, those subjects don't even help me to live a healthy and happy life. I'm kinda the exception coz I'm a Math teacher now... but com'on, for those who are non-Math teachers, what have those subjects do for them? And so, shouldn't we put GREATer emphasis on teaching children how to eat healthily, cook and equip them with the life-skills?
A case in point. Two years back, I helped out in a well-known and relatively good school as an adjunct teacher(a term for NIE-trained teachers who quit the service). You would think that I was there as a math teacher. You are so wrong. I was there to take over a Home Economics teacher's role. Well, it's more of marking the students' Home Econs projects(about 200 copies) and maybe making some jellies and ice cream for them(with the help of the Home Econs HOD) as a reward if they behave themselves. The project was about designing a balanced diet for some super heroes and explaining why the student chose the food and also to recommend cooking methods of the dishes. I'm thankful for my English teaching experience coz it helped me a lot in the speed of my marking. Most English teachers have learnt the skill of skim reading and grading. Whoops! So, the challenging part of that short stint was not marking the projects but.... chasing after students and parents for the projects to be handed in. To me, I felt that if the students don't hand in their work by a certain deadline, I'll just give them zero. Full stop. They will need to learn about being on time in their work because if they don't learn when they are young, they will pay a huge price when they are in the workforce. But that is not the way the HE department worked. My HOD said though she agrees with me,we cannot give zero marks to students because the Principal will ask about the zero marks and she will then have to write a report. So, she would rather chase the students for their projects. I was like... WHAT? But, at the same time, I know she's in a difficult position so I willingly chased for the projects. Told myself that I should not create havoc since I'll be in the school for only 3 months.
Students will copy each other's assignments and submit duplicate. Seriously, they don't know how smart teachers are. Even after marking 200 copies, I will know if the next one is the exact replica of any previous copies I've marked. That's how I managed to catch a few kids from different classes who copied their work. I think this is a gifting that God has bestowed on me and on most teachers. Haha! So don't meddle with us. Other than that, we have to call up parents if the student still doesn't hand up their work after umpteen reminders. There's a particular student whose parents are teachers. Mind you, teachers ok! When we called them and told the parent about it, their reply was... Oh, it's Home Econs project? It's not that important. Can my son not hand up the project coz he needs to focus on his revision of other subjects for the exams?
Really, does our Education System major in the minor and minor in the major? Why is Home Economics more inferior than Mathematics? Home Economics teaches students about healthy living and life skills like cooking and sewing. Mathematics teaches students about analytical skills. I think all are equally important but often, even in our minds, we relegate something important to the backseat because of what the society focuses on.
No comments:
Post a Comment